Enjoy this refreshing Mexican Candy Shot recipe featuring watermelon schnapps, tequila and hot sauce. Rub the shot glass rim with Tajin or chamoy, like we use on a Michelada, for an extra kick!
This paleta shot is perfect during the spring or summer months as it’s sweet and slightly spicy and ready to shoot in just 2 minutes! You’ll love Mexican Lollipop Shots!
Mexican Candy Shot Recipes
The Mexican Candy Shot is also referred to as a Paleta Shot, a Paleta being a Mexican hard candy lollipop (or popsicle). It’s essentially a watermelon flavored candy coated in chili powder. It’s also the inspiration for this shooter!
Mexican Lollipop Drink Ingredients
This Mexican Lollipops Shot takes only 3 ingredients. Cocktails with minimal ingredients are our go-to and specialty. Along with shot glasses, all you need is:
- Watermelon Schnapps
- Hot Sauce
- Optional: Lime Wedge and Tajin (for Rim)
Best Hot Sauce
Our favorite hot sauce to use is Tapatio. Cholula, Tobasco or your favorite brand would also work well. You can’t go wrong with what you have on hand.
Go with what you love or already have on hand. We typically opt for silver tequila, like when we make a Mexican Mule, but 100% agave gold tequila would be great as well.
How to Make A Mexican Candy Shot
Only a few quick steps stand between you and your shooter full of the good stuff!
- Place 1-2 tbsp. of Tajin on a small plate. Rub the rim of the shot glasses with the lime wedge and dip the wet edge into the Tajin to coat. Set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice followed by the tequila, schnapps and hot sauce. Shake well for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a shot glass and shoot away!
When To Serve Mexican Candy Shot Recipes
So. Many. Options. Besides Cinco de Mayo.
- Bachelorette party
- Sunday Funday brunch
- Birthday bashes
- Baby showers
- On a random Friday night…just because
- Graduation parties
It’s always fun to mix things up! Here are a few ideas:
Rim – Use chamoy or white sugar on the rim.
Juice – Replace the watermelon schnapps with watermelon juice or even other flavored juices: guava, or strawberry.
Mix up the Pucker! Try strawberry schnapps or mango schnapps to make a Mango Mexican Candy Shot. Here are other schnapps flavors to consider.
Mexican Candy Shot Recipe With Vodka – replace the tequila with vodka.
Mexican Candy Shot With Rum – Replace the tequila with rum.
Paleta Shots Tips
- This Mexican Candy shot recipe can easy turn into a Mexican candy drink to serve on a larger scale. No edits to the proportions are needed. Just throw them all into a pitcher and pour over ice when ready to party!
- Use decent quality tequila vs. bottom shelf when making Mexican candy shots. With such minimal ingredients you’ll know if bottom shelf is used.
- Garnish ideas: lime slice, watermelon wedge or even a paleta candy to lick!
2 Ingredient Beermosa
Mexican Candy Shot (Paleta Shot)
Servings: 1 drink
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1/2 oz Watermelon Schnapps
- 2 Dashes Hot Sauce
- Optional Rim: Lime Wedge and Tajin
OPTIONAL RIM: Place 1-2 tbsp. of Tajin on a small plate. Rub the rim of the shot glasses with the lime wedge and dip the wet edge into the Tajin to coat. Set aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice followed by the tequila, schnapps and hot sauce. Shake well for 15-20 seconds.
Pour the mixture into a shot glass and shoot away!