Put a salty-sweet, caramel spin on your favorite scotcheroos. This super simple salted caramel scotcheroos recipe is made with salted caramel, peanut butter, and chocolate. Perfect for snacking on any time of year!
Salted Caramel Scotcheroos
If you’re searching for an easy dessert recipe that takes approximately 10 minutes to whip up and 10 minutes to wolf down, look no further. Friends, meet this Salted Caramel Scotcheroos recipe.
So the story behind these babies is that I made them on Thursday at 4:30pm. It took everything in my power not to eat them, because I needed to save them for photographing. Alex came home from work and I gave him a bite of one. His response: “wait, how many can I eat because these are amazing.” Coming from a rower who doesn’t like sweets, this was a big deal.
“No, you can’t, the light is gone and I can’t photograph them,” I said.
The night went on. Slowly but surely, we found ourselves gravitating towards the bars. We just couldn’t wait. So we ate them. Well, like 4 of them.
Then Saturday night we went out for dinner and drinks with friends. At 2am we were saying goodbye, but then I remembered I had Salted Caramel Scotcheroos at home. So I invited them over. We all walked back to our place through the freezing cold. All for this scotcheroos recipe.
The next morning, my friend from out of town, who is currently staying with us, ate one for breakfast. And then I did, too.
So like… yeah. Big fan.
Tips for making these salted caramel Scotcheroos
Traditional Rice Krispies Scotcheroos are made with peanut butter and butterscotch, but I prefer balancing out the sweetness of this treat with salted caramel. My Scotcheroos recipe uses a homemade salted caramel sauce, which may be a turn off for some of you. But hear me out, because caramel sauce is surprisingly easy to make.
When making caramel sauce, you’ll need to first melt the sugar in a pan without additional water or anything. Then, remove the sugar from the heat and stir in some salted butter (we’re using both salted butter and salt in this recipe to really amp up that salty-sweet flavor). The butter will start to bubble violently, but that’s what should happen!
To finish off the caramel sauce, stir in the heavy cream and salt, and then add in the peanut butter and whisk until super creamy. Once you’ve done that, you’re basically done making these Scotcheroos!
Technically, you could use a store-bought salted caramel sauce, but where’s the fun in that?
Happy baking, my friends!
for the salted caramel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
for the scotcheroos
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan with butter, then line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the sugar on low heat until it’s completely melted, swirling the pan gently every 20 seconds or so. Remove from heat immediately and stir in butter. The mixture will violently bubble. You’re doing it right.
- Pour in the heavy cream and sea salt. Stir until everything is combined. Use a whisk to stir in peanut butter.
- Pour rice krispies into a large mixing bowl. Pour salted caramel peanut butter mixture and fold gently to combine.
- Place mixture into prepared baking pan, pushing it evenly into the pan. Set aside.
- Heat the chocolate chips in a double boiler over low heat until fully melted. Pour melted chocolate over the krispies, smoothing to the edges. Allow to cool completely (about 1 hour) before cutting into 2 inch squares.
More easy dessert recipes from Broma Bakery:
White Chocolate Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats
Bourbon Snickerdoodle Bars
Chewy Chai Blondies
Blackberry Crumble Bars
Dark Chocolate Fig Oatmeal Bars