The ultimate snack to share with friends, perfect for game day, or to enjoy while binging your favorite series!
A big pile of crispy french fries smothered in melty cheese and bacon and topped with green onion and your fave toppings!
Serve these fries with sour cream and homemade ranch for dipping!
There’s just something about a big pile of cheesy fries. Perfect for snacking on during the big game or for casual nights when you just want something to snack on with friends.
And these loaded fries are perfect for tv night too! If you’re a Lord of the Rings fan you’ve likely heard that The Rings of Power (which premieres on my birthday, September 2!) is coming out on Amazon. We are excited to have collaborated with Watch Party Network for this “watch party” snack!
Sam Gamgee famously said “PO-TAY-TOES! Boil ‘em. Mash ‘em. Stick ‘em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish…. Even you couldn’t say no to that.” We’re pretty sure he would love these fries too (bonus points, swap the fries for onions rings and make some Loaded Lord of the Onion Rings).
Ingredients for Cheese Fries
French Fries – To make cheese fries you’ll need fries of course! You can make them from scratch (check the notes of the recipe) or use frozen fries for a faster snack.
We find thicker steak fries, crinkle fries, or even wedges work well and hold up to the toppings. Make them in the air fryer or try oven baked fries. Season them with kosher salt & pepper.
Cheese – We choose shredded cheese over cheese sauce because we find the fries don’t get soggy this way.
Shredded cheddar or a shredded cheddar mozzarella cheese blend is great on fries. For most recipes, I recommend that you shred your own cheese but this is one place (along with nachos) where the bagged shredded cheeses work well!
Bacon – Everything is better with bacon, including cheese fries! If you want to fry up some bacon and crumble it on top, that works well but real bacon bits (or precooked) works just as well too!
Other Toppings – Green onions are a favorite to sprinkle on cheese fries (reminiscent of potato skins). Make these into loaded cheese fries by adding any of the following to suit your tastes:
- Ground beef, browned sausage, or taco meat.
- Brown gravy (trust me, it makes them AMAZING), a take from our fave poutine recipe.
- Diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, avocado, burger sauce, or even a big scoop of leftover chili.
- Sour cream or homemade ranch for dipping.
How to Make Cheese Fries
- Cook Fries: Air fry, deep fry, or bake french fries in a single layer per the recipe below until they’re extra crisp.
- Broil Cheese & Bacon: Sprinkle shredded cheese and cooked bacon over the crispy fries and broil under high heat until melted and bubbly.
- Add Fresh Toppings: Add any fresh toppings (like diced tomatoes or sliced green onions) and a drizzle of sour cream or dipping sauce.