These eggless, soft (thank you, baking powder!) shortbread cookies are the perfect morsel to get you in the Christmas spirit! I like to scent mine with lemon and vanilla, and drizzle over generous lashings of melted white chocolate, for that extra opulence this season commands, However you can customize this recipe to your liking and add ground spice and ginger, and a dark coating of 70% chocolate, if that is your jam. Whichever way you go, you may want to double this recipe, as they disappear faster than you can say Ho, ho, ho!!
150 g icing sugar
180 g unsalted butter, softened
300 g (11/3 cups) self-raising flour
55 g almond meal
1 tablespoon potato starch
1/2 tablespoon of baking powder
•1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
finely grated zest of 1 large lemon (or 2 small ones)
150 gr of white chocolate, melted (either in the microwave or using a double boiler method)
- Cream the icing sugar and butter in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, or use a wooden spoon (the old-fashioned way is more laborious, but that’s how my nonna used to make these!).
- Add the flour, almond meal, potato starch, vanilla and lemon zest and mix well to incorporate. Shape the dough into a disk. Wrap it firmly in plastic film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and set it in between two sheets of baking paper. Roll to 1/2 cm thick and cut out biscuits using your favourite shape. Place them on the prepared tray, leaving plenty of room for spreading (use two trays, if need be), and bake for 12–15 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden. Cool on the tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, drizzle the melted chocolate using a spoon or a fork. Allow to set at room temperature for 10-20 minutes before eating.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST YOUTUBE SHOW WOK X POT HERE
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
SILVIA’S CUCINA is available in stores and online!
MADE IN ITALY is available here, here and here
LA DOLCE VITA is available online on Amazon and here
Silvia’s Cucina is on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram
My new book LOVE, LAUGH, BAKE is out now!!!!