Chipotle Tostadas are crunchy, fresh, and easy to make. Simple homemade tostada shells are slathered with avocado cream, then piled with savory ground meat (turkey, chicken or vegan chorizo) and topped with fresh pineapple salsa. Vegan-adaptable.
Happiness, not in another place but this place…not for another hour, but this hour. ~ Walt Whitman
Yummy Chipotle Tostados! These crispy little numbers are just so full of crunch, savory flavor, and fresh goodness!
The pineapple salsa is completely addicting. The sweet, tangy fresh pineapple is pared with smoky, spicy chipotle powder, fresh cilantro, white onion and lime juice. Fresh pineapple is preferred though canned pineapple will work too. This salsa can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for several days.
We are using ground turkey here for a healthy protein boost, flavored up with chipotle powder and spices. (Feel free to use your preference of ground meat or plant-based substitute.)
We love the avocado cream because it is quick to make and uses just one avocado (as this precious food is pretty spendy right now!). The avocado gets mashed up with lime and sour cream (or use greek yogurt or a vegan sour cream). Simple, creamy, and luscious!
These separate components whip up quickly making this meal totally doable for a delicious weeknight dinner.
Ingredients in Chipotle Tostadas
- ground turkey or ground chicken, ground beef, or vegan ground meat substitute, or try this vegan chorizo!
- white onion & garlic
- tomato paste
- spices: chipotle powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin
- sea salt
- sour cream
- optional cojita or feta cheese
STEP ONE – Make the Tostada Shells: Brush or spray both sides of corn tortillas with oil and bake in the oven at 350F for 5 minutes then flip and bake 5-8 minutes more until crispy and lightly toasty.
STEP TWO – Make the Pineapple Salsa: Mix together the diced pineapple, onion, chipotle powder, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
STEP THREE – Make the Avocado Cream: Mash the avocado with lime juice, sour cream, and salt until smooth and creamy.
STEP FOUR – Cook the Meat: In a bowl mix together spices and the ground turkey mixing until just combined.
STEP FIVE – Sauté the onions and garlic and seasoned meat.
Tips for cooking ground turkey
- Combine spices into the meat gently until just incorporated, over mixing can toughen the meat.
- Cook in clumps on the pan browning on onside then flip to the other side. Heat just until cooked through and then break up into crumbles with a spatula. Overcooking can lead to a tougher texture.
STEP SIX- Assemble the Tostadas
- spread avocado cream on a crispy tostada shell
- layer with cooked and seasoned ground turkey
- top with pineapple salsa
- add shredded lettuce & fresh cilantro
- add (optional) cotija or feta crumbles
- serve with lime wedges
Hope you enjoy!
More recipes you may enjoy