- 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (for brown butter)
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp brown butter, reserved from above
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Caramelize apples: Combine apples, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until apples are golden and tender. Remove from heat and transfer apples to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Brown butter: Place 10 tablespoons unsalted butter in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour brown butter into a medium bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon brown butter for the glaze.
- Make blondies: Combine brown butter, brown sugar, egg, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt, whisking until smooth. Fold in flour until almost incorporated, then fold in caramelized apples.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper coated with nonstick spray to press batter evenly into pan; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 to 38 minutes, until golden and set in the middle, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Make glaze: Whisk together reserved brown butter (melted), salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, powdered sugar, and heavy cream in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over blondies and let set before serving.
- Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.