Ambrosia is a variation on the traditional fruit salad. Most versions use cool whip and shredded coconut; but neither of those ingredients have a place in our home. Compared to things like cake and pie, ambrosia salad is a wonderfully fresh and light dessert, which makes it perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.
This salad is a variety of colorful fruit with marshmallows and Pistachios, tossed in a light and creamy dressing. An easy salad that’s a classic for good reason.
- 1 cup heavy cream slightly sweetened freshly whipped
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 15 ounce can Mandarin oranges drained drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple chopped
- 3/4 cup Maraschino cherries sliced in half
- 1/2 cup green grapes halved or quartered
- 1 banana cut into halved coins
- 3 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup Pistachios
In a large mixing bowl add whipped cream, Greek yogurt and stir until combined.
Add in the fruit and nuts.
Stir gently in a folding motion, until well combined.
Cover and chill salad for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Ambrosia is tremendously adaptable. Use what you have on hand. Use your family’s favorite fruits. Make it your own. Sometimes the simplest of recipes become the most special.
Maybe try these too!